Welcome to 2nd Queensland Youth Orchestra Page. QYO2 (part of Queensland Youth Orchestras) is a full size symphony orchestra (*3,2,2,2-5,2,3,1-tmp-hp (opt)-str (18,18,16,12,10) ranging in age from 12 to 23. The main stage for QYO2 is the Old Museum Concert Hall. In 2019 season QYO2 will play three Concerts at Twilight, and QYO Finale Concert at QPAC.
Announcement: 2019 QYO2 Vacancies – Viola, Bass. Please contact the QYO office on 3257-1191 or email@example.com to apply. If you are unable to attend any QYO2 activity, you must contact the QYO2 Administrator.
2nd Queensland Youth Orchestra Repertoire:
First Concert Programme:
- M. Mussorgsky – Fantaisie: “Un Nuit Sur Le Mont Chauve”
- N. Rimsky-Korsakov – Suite From The Opera: “Le Coq D’ OR”
- – Interval –
- P. Tchaikovsky – The Nutcracker
First Concert – Sat 30 March 3pm & 5.30pm: QYO2 with Queensland Ballet Academy, Old Museum Concert Hall.
Second Concert Programme:
- QYO2 J. Williams – Hymn To The Fallen from ‘Saving Private Ryan’; Schindler’s Theme from ‘Schindler’s List; Star Wars Suite
- – Interval –
- Australian Premiere: Wynton Marsalis’ – “Swing Symphony”* (Commissioned by the Berliner Philharmoniker in collaboration with The Barbican, the New York Philharmonic and the Los Angeles Philharmonic):
- No.1 – St. Louis to New Orleans;
- No.2 – All-American Pep;
- No.5 – Modern Modes and the Midnight. Moan;
- No.7 – The Low Down Up On High.
Second Concert – Sat. 15 June, 5.30pm: QYO2 with QYO Big Band, Old Museum Concert Hall.
Third Concert Programme:
- Antonín Dvořák – Carnival Overture Op.92 (1891)
- Camille Saint-Saëns – Symphony No.3, c-moll, Op. 78, “Organ Symphony” (1886)
Third Concert – Saturday, 21 September, 5.30pm, Old Museum Concert Hall.
Audio & Video Resources
*) Wynton Marsalis wrote a new work especially for this project, entitled Swing Symphony, which takes us on a musical journey through the history of jazz – something Wynton Marsalis sees as inseparable from dance: “Jazz is dance music – and if you can’t dance to it, then it’s not jazz.” That evening in the Berlin Treptow Arena, the young dancers under the direction of choreographer Rhys Martin showed very impressively just how perfectly Marsalis’s Swing Symphony fulfils these requirements.